Monday, July 16, 2012

Charlie




            I just left Shoprite when I saw Charlie walk into the store.  I looked at him but he did not see him and when I got to my car I started to remember the days when Charlie was a boy.  When he came over and played with my brother the two were always happy and ran around the yard.  But sadly, Charlie’s days as a child changed and when he was still very young, became a father.

Ten Years Ago

            My brother and Charlie decided to have a sleep over and my brother asked my parents if he could dye he and Charlie could dye their hair.  I remembered that night (with help from my parents) the two dyed parts of their hair blue and they allowed me to join them.  We all laughed and loved our new look.  Just before the sunset we walked to the convince store down the block to buy milk for my parents.  One of the workers really liked Charlie’s hair and he had this huge grin on that showed almost all his teeth. 
            I will also never forget the time when my mom took my brother and I to school and Charlie was hiding his face when everyone was lining up for the day.
“What’s wrong?” asked my mom.  Without lifting his hand, Charlie said, “I got braces,”
“Can I see them?” my mom asked and slowly Charlie took his hand away. 
“You got braces?” the kid behind Charlie asked and he closed his mouth, “that’s really cool,” the kid said and Charlie smiled, showing his braces.  The other kids in his classroom thought it was cool and Charlie quickly became comfortable with his new braces. 
            I was always afraid of growing up and I’m sure some of my friends and the other kids at our elementary school were too.  To this day I’m still growing up and learning the ways of the world but I felt bad for Charlie because he had to grow up when he was still a kid. 

Four Years Ago

            Charlie’s mom was in the hospital and I heard it was really bad.  Her body had a bunch of problems and it seemed as if this was it.  There were just too many complications.  One night I overheard my parents talking Charlie and his siblings. 
            Charlie was the second oldest in the family, at this time he was seventeen, his younger brother was ten, and his younger sister was eight.  His older brother was already in his early twenties but I could not remember since I rarely saw him when my brother and I went over to his house to play.  My parents were worried about Charlie because next year he would be taking the SAT’s (he was left back in first grade) and his younger brother and sister were very young to lose a mother and his father traveled too much for work.  I overheard them saying that Charlie might stay home but his younger siblings may be separated among their relatives. 
            A few days later we heard about his mother’s passing.  My family and I went to the funeral and I saw Charlie sitting with his younger siblings.  On his lap was his younger brother who kept crying and wanting his “mommy”.  When I saw his younger brother I had to walk out as quickly as possible.  I felt so sorry for those children and I wonder why God took their mother.  They know that they would never see her again and his brother would not stop crying and asking his “mommy to wake up”. 
           
Present
         
            Ever since his mother’s death, Charlie took it upon himself to help around the house.  I would see him once and awhile at the grocery store with his younger siblings and I knew he picked them up from school every day.  My brother called him to hang out, but he was never free.  His father continued working and traveling all over the place while his older brother did nothing.  Charlie had to balance being a high school student and a father. 
            It’s the summer of 2012 and Charlie seemed to have done a good job.  His father still travels and his brother is still a jerk, but his younger brother just graduated from middle school and Charlie is taking courses at a community college while having a part time job.  I know life is hard on Charlie and I wish that he didn’t have to worry about being a dad and could worry about being a college kid, thinking about his future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment