Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Benders: Part I




            There is a place where the people live in harmony and peace with one another.  They respect all life and many seek a spiritual path to find enlightenment.  There are some people who are gifted with powers to bend one of the four elements: earth, fire, water, or air.  However one can only discover if he or she is a bender once he or she turns thirteen.  In this world benders and non benders live in harmony and realize that one can not exist without the other.  But that is all about to change because of a revolution. 
            During the tenth year of the Emperor Kundun in one of the countries, many citizens were upset with the social class system.  No one could move or up or down in the class system, not even through marriage.  A couple was executed because they were in love but no in the same social class, this was a spark to the revolution.  The people started to go against their Emperor and thus a revolution was born. 

            My father woke me up before the sun came up.  My mother was also awake and I rubbed my eyes and my father tried to wake up my younger brother.  I put a blanket around me since it was a cold morning. 
“I will have breakfast ready when you return,” my mother told us.  My father, brother, and I left the hut to go to our farm.  It was a small plot, but it was big enough to feed four people.  We made little holes in the ground to plant the seeds.  We grew vegetables such as squash, pumpkin, corn, lettuce, tomatoes, and more.  The farm helped us pay our taxes and bring food to our home.  We did not have enough money to have cattle so we did everything by hand.  The planting, plowing, picking, and so on, but every year I realized that I got stronger. 
            We returned home shortly after dawn and my mother had corn bread ready for us to eat.  I sat down on the ground next to my mother and father and across from my younger brother.  I ate only the one corn bread but it was enough to make me feel full. 
“Drink some water,” my father told me as he handed me the cup.  He also handed a cup to my brother. 
            Although we were poor and lived in a one-room hut that was always either too cold or too hot, we were happy.  It’s true that we had nothing and relied on our farm but as long as we had each other that was all that matter.  My parents were always happy even when the hurricanes ruined our farm.  One year we only had enough crops to pay the taxes but not to feed us.  My father found work but it only brought food to our table once a day and some days we did not get any food.  Although we were starving that year and my brother and I cried my parents were still happy. 
            Since I was four I spent a lot of time with my father on the farm.  My father was also a bender.  He could bend fire and he was able to set up the fire in the fireplace when it got cold.  He also helped keep our neighbors warm as well.  He told me that he never had to use it for evil purposes and those that do uses it for evil purposes are not men but monsters.  He told my brother and I that monsters will never find peace and happiness and will never enter Paradise. 
            After we ate our breakfast my family and I went into the village.  It was a nice long walk but I loved passing the trees and seeing them bend and sway in the wind.  I also loved feeling the dirt underneath my feet because it reminded me of how God created the Earth out of love for his people.  Sometimes my younger brother complained about the walking and one of my parents would carry him.  Unlike him, I enjoyed the walk.  I remembered that on that day the sky was blue without any clouds in the sky.  The sun was hot and I felt it’s heat on the top of my head but the wind helped cool down my body in the sun.  Sometimes I purposely walked under the trees to be in the shades.  It was a perfect day, not too hot and yet not too cold. 
            The village was busy with traders and merchants.  My parents told me to ignore the tents that were set up because we had no money.  As farmers we had very little money and could not afford luxurious things such as vases, plates, statues, etc.  We walked passed the merchants and to the temple.  We walked through the gates and stood in the courtyard.  Around us were different temples, each containing a different God. 
“Come,” said my mother and my family and I walked into the temple of the God of the Harvest.  We sat on the ground, cross our legs and prayed to him.  I prayed for a good harvest with lots of food to pay taxes and eat.  When I was done praying I waited for my family and when they were done we walked up to the front of the altar and burned incense.  Then we walked to the main temple that was at the far end on the opposite side of the gate where the temple the supreme God was. 
            Many people were in the temple and at the end of the room there was no altar because this God had no face or any features.  No one knew what he looked like and some people say he is invisible.  This God is the God that created everything including the minor Gods.  This God created humans, the Earth, and controlled everything.  My family found a place to sit and we sat down to pray.  I prayed for God to watch over my family and bring us happiness and peace. 
            After praying to him, we walked up to his altar to burn incense.  Unlike the other temples this God was the only God who received offerings besides incense such as food, water, juice, wine, flowers, vases, toys, etc. 
            When we left God’s temple we sat in the center of the courtyard to meditate.  Everyday we had to clean our body and mind both physically and non physically.  This was hard on my younger brother since his patience was very short and found this trip to be boring.  He was just a normal eight year old.  I remembered that he started to cry because he wanted to go home and take a nap.  He was getting restless and started to pull on our parent’s arms to try to get them to pay attention to him.  I knew that he was ready to scream however when he screamed I heard something else. 
            Right when my brother screamed, I heard what sounded like an explosion.  Everyone in the temples became frighten and earth started to shake.  Some people ran to get out of the temples and other stayed to pray. 
“What’s going on?” my mother asked but my father could not answer. 
“We’re leaving,” he told her and my mother picked up my younger brother and my father picked me up.  We left the temple grounds and I closed my eyes and clung to my father.  I heard people screaming and what sounded like buildings falling.  I was wondering if it was an earthquake but then I remembered that we never got earth quakes.  I opened my eyes to look over my father’s shoulder. 
            People were running and screaming.  Buildings were falling and every building was on fire!  I then saw who was responsible.  I saw men, women, and children dressed in a uniform that I never seen before.  I saw benders using their bending to hurt others.  Earth benders were making the ground shake, fire benders were setting places on fire, air benders were creating small tornadoes, and water benders were drowning people.  There were even nonbenders using guns to guns to kill people.  My village became a battleground. 
            I was too scared to talk, walk, and cry.  I was shocked and did not understand what was happening.  My family and I were able to return to our small hut on the outskirts of the village.  I saw a huge smoke cloud in the distance.  
“Will they come here?” my mother asked my father as we entered the hut. 
“I do not know,” my father replied.  My father looked at all of us and we looked back at him. 
“Pack as much as you can, we need to leave.  If they come here they will destroy this hut and hurt all of us.  I will not let them hurt my family,” my father said.  I listened to my father and started to pack.  My brother wanted to bring a lot of stuff with him such as his cups, plates, pillows, blankets, but I had to remind him that we could only take what we could carry and he started to through a tantrum.  My mother had to calm him down.  While my mother was calming my brother down she gasped as she looked through a hole in our wall. 
“There here!” she said looking at my father.  My father was very stilled and looked at us. 
“Set,” he said looking at me, “I need you to take Anubis and go into the high grass.  I want you to stay there and hide.  If they come after you I want you to run and hide in the woods.  If they find you in the woods I want you to keep running to keep your brother safe,”
“What about you and mother?” I asked him.  I did not want to be separated from my family.  Especially my mother and father. 
“Listen to me, Set.  Your brother and you are small enough to hide in the tall grass.  They will spot your mother and I and then we will all be in danger.  Your mother and I will find another place to hide.  I promise you, but you and Anubis must go.  Promise me that you’ll look after your younger brother,” I looked at my father straight in the eye and I stood tall so he could see that I was a man. 
“I will see you again?”
“Yes,” he replied.
“Where?”
“You know how to get to the capital city?  Go to the capital city and wait by a huge fountain that has the statue of the first Emperor, your mother and I will meet you there by the time of the full moon.  Set, you must go.  Hurry,” I grabbed my stuff and I looked at my mother and brother.  My brother did not understand what was happening and my mother started to cry.  I walked to my mother and gave her a hug. 
“I will protect him, mother.  I promise you,” and she gave me a hug and kiss. 
“I love you,” she said to me and I took my brother by the hand and before we left my mother kissed him too and told him the same thing.  She said that we would all be together again very soon.  After saying good-bye my brother and I left into the tall grass.
            I disobeyed my father.  We hid in the tall grass but we did run off.  I kept an eye on the hut to make sure my parents were safe.  But I saw the soldiers arrive and enter the hut.  I was too scared to move and I told my brother to lay down so that he could not see what was happening.  I watched as the soldiers took my mother and father out of the hut and a fire bender burnt our hut to the ground. 
            I watch one of the soldiers ask my parents questions but they only looked down and said nothing.  Then I watched them tie my parents together to a tree.  My father whispered something to my mother and I think he said to her, “I love you,” and my mother started to cry.  I thought that the soldiers were going to leave them there to die and that once they left I would untie them, but I was wrong.  When it seemed as if the soldiers were leaving, one of them turned around and shot a gigantic wave of fire to the tree.  My parents died instantly and I came out of hiding yelling “no!” but the soldier did not hear me or see me since his back was turned.  Once he was done with his fire bending, he left without turning around to see me. 
            I waited for what felt like forever until I approach the tree.  I told Anubis to stay where he was and that I was not going far.  I walked up to the ashes where the tree once stood but there was no longer a tree and the bodies of my parents were gone.  I knelt down next to the ashes and cried.  I lost my home and my parents.  I turned around to face the tall grass where Anubis was still lying. 
“I will protect him.  Whatever the cost is I will protect Anubis,” I told my parents. 

            “Set!  Set!  Set wake up!” yelled a voice and then I felt a blow into the side of my stomach and I rolled over in pain.  I looked up to see Ubi, a ten-year-old street kid and five years younger then me. 
“What?” I asked him with anger in my voice. 
“You owe Mr. D money.  He sent me to get the money,” said Ubi.
“I will have it by tonight once I am done with work,”
“I need it now!  Or I’ll get punish,” said Ubi.  Although Ubi was standing tall and showed no fear I knew that deep down he was shaking.  If he did not get the money I knew that Mr. D and his thugs would probably kill him.  No one was safe from Mr. D’s thugs or any other thugs in the city. 
“Here,” I said to him as I gave him all my money.  He grabbed it and ran off. 
            I got up from behind the waterfall at the park and sat up.  Most of the other kids were still sleeping.  All of us have a story, some kids lost their parents to the revolutionist or the Republic’s army, others became orphan from natural causes, others are runaways, and some are runaways but stay in contact with their parents.  Ubi had been living on the streets with the kids since he was five because his father was always away working for Mr. D.  Once Ubi was old enough, he joined Mr. D’s group but every now and then I’ll see him sleeping behind the waterfall with the rest of us. 
            I walked outside and right away I saw Anubis doing circus tricks to try and get money.  I walked over to him and watch.  When he was done performing, I clapped and he turned around with a big smile on. 
“Set, you’re awake!  Come join me!  Look!  I’ve made twenty cents!” he said with a huge grin on.  I patted him on the head and told him to keep up the good work.  I told him that I had to go off to work and he assured me that I would see him later that night for dinner.  Although we both knew that we were probably not going to eat that night.
            It had been five years since our parent’s death.  Anubis once told me that he had forgotten their faces and felt guilty about it.  Unlike Anubis who seemed to have forgotten the whole event, I remember everything.  I remembered the village being burnt down and I remembered our parents being burned.  I hated the revolutionist but I kept my father’s principle alive.  Those who became monsters were no longer men.  I had been able to pass on this teaching to Anubis who is kind hearted and believed in the good of people.  Anubis was a dreamer, but I was a realists.  It was my job to get money and protect him while he did his circus tricks and hung out with the other street kids.  I was too old to go around playing. 
            The war seemed so far away.  The capital was the most protected city and every day more and more people arrived from far away places to find safety here.  However some just end up in District 20, which is where we live.  District 20 is the poorest and most dangerous district in the city.  Every night there were gunshots, gangs, dead bodies, rats, and someone screaming and crying. 
            I went to the factory and used my fire bending skills to get the water boiling.  Other fire benders also helped.  Besides us, other benders and helped along with normal people.  It was tough being in a dark place with very little light and getting paid too little.  When my shift ended I got five dollars. 
            When I returned I found Anubis playing soccer with two kids.  Anubis taught them tricks but the kids were struggling with their balance.  When Anubis saw me he said good-bye to his friends and ran over to greet me.  I was able to buy some candy for him and that was our dinner. 
“Don’t eat too fast or you’ll get sick,” I told him.  After eating our dinner Anubis went back to the streets to do more tricks to earn more money.  Every now and then we had to be careful of someone trying to steal our money.  There were always thieves around the city who stole purses, pick pocket, or threaten you with a knife.  Everyone in District 20 was desperate to survive. 
When night fell Anubis and I went behind the waterfall in the park where all the other orphans were.  Very few of them were sleeping, most of the kids were getting high on glue they found.  Just sitting there, laying on the ground, laughing their heads off for no reason except for being high.  They smelled of glue and avoided sharing with anyone. 
            One kid walked over to Anubis and I, putting his hands in our pockets.  Right away I smelled the glue on him and I could tell that he had no idea what he was doing.  I slowly took his hand out of my pocket and when I did he pulled back and walked away.  The kid was no more than ten years old.  Eventually, all the kids who were high went to sleep and by midnight you could hear snoring everywhere. 
            I laid down next to Anubis.  It was starting to get cold since we lived behind a small waterfall in the park.  We had no pillows to put our heads down, we had no mattress to give us soft bedding, and we had no blankets to keep us warm.  A few kids had blankets or pillows but they always lost them to a bigger kid. 
“Set, I love you,” said Anubis before he fell asleep.  I told him the same thing but I could not fall asleep.  Our lives were miserable without a home or adults to take care of us.  I did everything I could to protect my brother.  I taught him where he should not go to avoid the gangs, I taught him not to drink alcohol or sniff glue, and I taught him what to do if he was ever in danger.  I did everything to keep my brother safe and ever since our parents died he never disobeyed me.  I loved him and I wished I could give him a room, a bed, a warm place to stay, and a family.  There was a time when I left him at an orphanage, but that same night he escaped and found me and I promised him that I would never do that again.  I promised him that we would always be together.  There was also another thing I was worried about.  Anubis was thirteen and unlike me, he was not a bender. 
            We woke up to sound of an explosion.  Everyone got up and ran from behind the waterfall.  I made sure that Anubis was with me and above us we saw air benders.  They were dropping something and that was when we realized it.  They were dropping bombs on to the capital city.  Although a few bombs landed in District 20, most landed in Districts 1 to 15, the richest districts.  Only thirteen bombs landed in district 20 but that was because district 20 was small and most populated. 
            The park did not get bomb but many people died.  Some runaways who kept in contact with their parents lost them in the bombing.   Some orphans lost their friends or siblings.  Everywhere you looked, someone was crying.  No one ever saw this coming.  The war made it to the capital city! 
            The United Countries arrived with food, water, and clothing for the survivors of the bombing.  They wore light blue uniforms and were peacekeepers.  The U.C. was made up of many countries around the world and always arrived to give help.  Anubis and I stayed at a local shelter that the U.C. set up.  They gave us a bed, clothing, food, and even schooling.  I was having difficulties learning my alphabet but Anubis learned quickly.  Within a week he could read a children’s book and within another week he could read short chapter books.  Our teacher said that he was a prodigy and besides reading and writing, he excelled at math and science.  Our teacher discovered that his IQ was way above average.  Apparently Anubis was gifted and a genius. 
            One day our teacher called for me and I went to speak with him privately.  Our teacher informed me that the U.C. was going to take some children to a group home in another country where they would be safe and far away from the war.  However they were only going to take children who were thirteen or under, they had no room for another else at the time.  He wanted me to think about sending Anubis away for his safety.  At first I was furious because I thought he wanted to split up my brother and I and that they were going to use Anubis and not care for him.  I ran away from my teacher crying because deep down I was upset.  I was not jealous of Anubis I was just upset that they would take him to safety and not me. 
            That night I sat down with Anubis and told him what our teacher told us.  I told Anubis that he would be safe and that we would see each other again.  I told him that once I got enough money with the help of the U.C. I would find him and we could live with each other again.  Anubis at first disagreed with me but I kept trying to get him to change his mind because I knew it was the only way to keep him safe from the war.  Eventually Anubis agreed. 
“Even though we will be separated, I will find you,” I told him. 
“Don’t worry.  The U.C. told me that I could write letters to you.  They promise me that they will send you over in less than a year,”
“Anubis, promise me you’ll be good.  Listen to the adults and be respectful,”
“I know.  I’ll write to you every day,”
“Anubis, it’s time to go,” an adult said.  Anubis and I gave each other one last hug and then Anubis went on the boat with the other children.  Once everyone was on board, the boat started to set off towards the sea. 
            Then out of the sky I saw air benders and on the water I saw water benders!  I saw each one wearing a different uniform.  The revolutionists and the Republic Army.  They started a battle on the ocean!  I watched and the waves caused the U.C. boat to turn from side to side until it flipped over.  Everyone on land screamed and I yelled my brother’s name.  I watch helplessly as the boat started to sink.  I got on my knees and cried.  I knew that my brother was gone.

            I was on the streets when they found me.  A man in a uniform picked me up and dragged me to his leader.  Men, women, and children who were also picked up from the streets surrounded me.  Everyone had his or her heads down in shame and without hope.  The war took its toll on the people in the country.  The soldiers started to grab us one by one.  I felt someone grabbed my arm and took me to a room where a man was sitting behind his desk with paper work. 
“My name is General Yeggar.  You, my young boy, will join the Republic’s Army.  You will serve your country and be proud of it.  Welcome to the military.  What is your name?” I said nothing.  I could not speak and I could not look up.  I had nothing and I felt as if I had no soul. 
“Fine, I’ll give you a new name.  Your name will be Chaos.  I can see that you will be a great soldier,” Chaos became my new name and once I earned that name, I knew that I was no longer a man.  I joined the Republic’s Army and became a monster.  

No comments:

Post a Comment