Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Special Needs






            I was at a party in August of 2014, just before the school year was about to start.  I was celebrating with the other young teachers and my close friends in my work area.  I was done with the lesson plans for the school year and we just wanted to leave summer with a blast.  Just like the students in school, us teachers were celebrating the end of summer.  We wanted to teach, but we also knew that it would be five days per week of our personal time and we would do anything for our students.  We celebrated until early the morning and the next thing I knew I woke up on my friend’s couch.  That was when my phone rung. 
“This is Jake Cauliflow,” I said as I answered my cell phone, surprised to see that it was six in the morning. 
“Mr. Cauliflow I am Mr. Lee, your parents lawyer,”
“Lawyer?”
“Yes.  I’m sorry to tell you but your parents died earlier this morning,”

            I was sitting in a room with my aunt and uncle along with my parent’s lawyer.  The lawyer took out an envelope and told us how sorry he was for our lost.  My parents left me money and some of their belongings.  The other stuff from when they were children were going to be given to my aunt and uncle. 
“There is one more subject,” the lawyer said and this was what we were all waiting to hear, “the guardianship of Alice Cauliflow, age sixteen,”
“We will take her,” said my aunt but I wanted to the lawyer to finish what my parents said in their will. 
“According to the late Mr. and Mrs. Cauliflow, the guardianship of Alice is left to their son, Jake Cauliflow,” said Mr. Lee. 
“Absurd,” my aunt said in a low voice. 
“Mr. and Mrs. Cauliflow would want Alice to live with her closes relative which in this case is Mr. Jake Cauliflow.  They never wanted the children to be separated,” said Mr. Lee.
“Jake is young and he’s been teaching for only five years and he lives in an apartment.  He cannot take care of Alice.  My husband and I have raised two daughters and have one at home who can help take care of Alice and she studied how to help children with autism.  We should be the guardians of Alice for her own good,” I said nothing.  My aunt was right.  Alice and I would not be a good fit. I barely make ends meet and I do not have the money for Alice’s special needs but I also wanted to respect my parent’s decision. 
“Mr. Cauliflow?” asked Mr. Lee.  Everyone was silent.
“I will take care of her.  She is my sister,”
“Don’t do this Jake, she has special needs that you cannot afford,” said my uncle. 
“It is my parent’s wish.  She will live with me.  She is my sister,”
            Mr. Lee took me to the facility that Alice was in since our parent’s death.  We walked into the playing room where Alice was by herself doing finger painting with an aide.  I slowly walked over to Alice and her aide smiled at me.
“Alice you have a visitor,” she said but Alice did not acknowledge my presences.  The aide nodded at me to talk.
“Alice, it’s me Jake, your brother.  You’re going to live with me,”
“Mom and dad,” she said. I looked at the aide for help.
“Alice, mommy and daddy are gone.  They’re dead but they are with God.  God will take care of them,” Alice just kept on painting and ignored everyone. 
“You can stay with her.  I’ll go get her stuff,” said the aide and I sat down next to Alice to see what she was drawing. 
“It’s nice,” I said although I could not make anything out.  The painting was all different colors, mix together.  There was nothing.  I did not know how much Alice understood that mom and dad were gone. 
            I took Alice’s bag and she grabbed my arm.  We walk inside the lobby and went into the elevator.  Once we got to the third floor, we walked out and went to room 203. 
“Alice this is your new home.  Do not forget okay.  Listen to me; you live at 72 Ridgewood Road, Ridgewood NJ, in apartment 203.  Remember okay,” She did not respond but kept staring at the door.  I took out my keys and opened the door. 
“There is only one bedroom, so you will have to sleep on the couch alright?” I asked her but again she did not respond.  She walked in and went to the window and stared out to see the plaza and the cars going by on the street. 
“Are you hungry?  You have not eaten since this morning,” I said but she kept staring out the window.  I walked over to the couch and sat down, staring at her.  I started to wonder what I got myself into. 
            “Alice, time for dinner.  Alice,” I said and I looked across the room to see her stills staring outside the window.  I looked at the clock to realize that she had been standing there for six hours. 
“Alice, this is not healthy,” I told her as I walked over.  I stood next to her and looked out the window to see the rush hour. 
“Alice, it’s time for dinner.  Can you sit at the table?” I asked.  Alice did not respond but turned around and walked over to the table on the other side of the room.  She sat down and waited. 
“I made macaroni and cheese.  Your favorite,” I told her and I put the dish in front of her. 
“What do you want to drink?”
“Milk,” she said and I got out milk and poured it into a glass.  I got my food and sat down next to her.  She smelled the food before she ate and she did not complain.  She seemed to enjoy the meal and I was happy. 
            When the clock said eight at night, Alice sat down the couch and turned the TV on to cartoons.
“TV time,” she said and sat very still. 
“Okay,” I said and I sat down next to her to watch.  For thirty minutes we watched Spongebob and then we watched iCarly.  When the clock said it was nine at night, Alice turned off the TV and started to whine. 
“What’s wrong?” I asked her. 
“Brush teeth,” she said.  I grabbed her bag and dig around for her toothbrush and toothpaste.  She was about to scream when I found them.  I calmed her down and gave her the toothbrush and toothpaste.  She walked into the bathroom and started to brush her teeth. 
“Pajamas,” she said and I got them for her.  When she change the clock said it was nine fifteen at night.  She just stood in front of me.
“Now what?” I asked her. 
“Bed,” and she walked to the couch, got her blankly, a blanket to cover herself, and a pillow.  She laid herself down and closed her eyes.  Right away she fell asleep.  I went to my room and turned on my small TV to watch the News and adult television.  I fell asleep while the TV was on sleep mode to turn off at midnight. 
            I woke up to quietness in the apartment.  I looked at my clock and saw that it was eleven in the morning.  I struggled to get up, but I did and walked into the main room where the kitchen and television room were in.  I walked into the kitchen and started to make myself coffee.  I open my cabinet and found tofu that I could cook with spinach.  Then I thought it was too quiet. 
“Alice,” I said and I turned around, expecting her to still be sleeping.  That was when I notice that she was not on the couch. 
“Alice?” I said and I looked down the hall but the bathroom door was open with no one in it. 
“Alice, this isn’t funny,” I said and I looked in all the tight spaces, but she was not there.  That was when that I saw that the door was unlocked.  I ran into my room, put a pair of pants on and a shirt along with socks and shoes.  I then ran out the door and down the stairs. 
            I got into my car and drove all around town looking for her.  I did not see her anywhere on the streets of town.  Then I called 9-1-1 and that was when I met with a police officer and gave him a description and telling him that she was autistic.  I continued to look for her. 
            Alice had been missing for over five hours and my heart started to drop.  I lost my parents; I did not want to lose my sister too.  At around four thirty I got a call from the police.  They found Alice at a park in Woodcliff Lake and I started to drive there, while going over the speed limit.
            When I arrived at the park I saw Alice sitting on a bench with an officer.  When I walked up to the officer I told him who I was and showed him my ID to prove that I was her brother.  He told me that she had not move since he got there and told me to keep an eye on her.  I thank him for his service and he walked away.  I saw that Alice was staring at the ducks in the pond.
“Alice we need to talk,” but she did not respond or turn to me, “you cannot run off or leave the apartment without telling me where you are going.  I was worried about you.  Did you ever do this to mom and dad?” again no response, “well, mom and dad are gone and I am taking their place to take care of you, so if you never went off without mom and dad, then you can not go off without me.  Do you understand?” Then she pointed.
“I know, ducks,” I said very upset.  I was starting to think that she did not listen to me at all.
“Not ducks,” she said and I was confused.
“I do not understand,” I told her and stared at the ducks more closely but I saw nothing.
“Family,” she said and I saw what she was pointing at.  There was a pair of ducks together with three little ducklings. 
“Mommy, daddy, and babies,” Alice said. 
“Yes,” I responded.
“Mom and dad,” That was when I started to remember.  Our parents used to take us to this park when we were children.  Alice was very young; I did not think that she would remember when mom and dad used to take us there.   When I started high school, we stopped doing things as a family. 
“Let’s go home,” I said and Alice got up from the bench and walked towards the car. 
            The alarm clock went off at six thirty and I quickly got dressed and walked into the main room, were Alice was just starting to get up.  She walked into the bathroom to brush her teeth and put her clothes on for the day.  I started to cook for the both of us and when Alice got out of the bathroom I put our breakfast on the table.
“Waffle,” said Alice. 
“We don’t have waffles.  We ran out, I’m sorry.  I forgot to go out and buy some.  I have tofu.  It’s really good,” I told her.
“Waffle!” she yelled and threw the plate on the floor. 
“Alice we don’t have waffles!” I yelled at her and she began to scream and threw herself on the floor.  She was kicking and screaming. 
“Alice we can’t do this today!  I have to get to work!” I yelled at her but she did not listen.  She continued to scream and I started to get a headache and did not know what to do.  I sat at the table and started to eat my breakfast, trying to ignore her tantrum. 
“Alice, shut up!” I screamed at her but she did not stop.  I could not enjoy my breakfast so when I ate as much as I could I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth and got ready for the day. 
“Alice we need to leave,” I told her but she just lay on the ground, “Alice, please.  Don’t make this difficult,” but she did not respond.  Just then there was a knock on the door and the police were there.
“Sir, we got reports of screaming and what seemed to be kicking and yelling,” said the officer.
“Officer, it’s just my sister.  She’s having a tantrum.  Nothing is wrong, everything is okay,” I told him.
“How old is your sister?”
“Sixteen.  She’s autistic,”
“May we come in?” I nodded at them and they entered.  They found Alice lying on the floor and asked her questions but she did not respond. 
“Officers, I’m sorry but I have to get to work and I need to drop her off at school,” The officers wrote up a report and decided that everything was fine.  It was a little bit pass seven, I was late. 
            I left the school around three forty-five to pick up Alice from her school at four.  When I got there I saw police everywhere.  I parked and quickly got out of my car. 
“Officer, what’s going on?” I asked hoping that Alice was all right. 
“A child went missing,” he said and I could only imagine who the missing child was. 
“Mr. Cauliflow,” said one of the teachers who saw me and I recognized her as Alice’s teacher. 
“What happen?” I asked her.
“It was time for the children to go home and Alice went with an aide to go to the after school program.  One minute she was there and then she was gone.  I’m so sorry,”
“What do you mean she was just gone?  How could you lose a child?”
“I do not know,” and then I saw the officers interviewing a young woman and I walked over to her.
“Are you the aide who lost Alice?” I asked her. 
“Yes, I am so sorry.  I turned around for a second while I picking up other children and she was gone.  I thought she walked to the after school classroom by herself but she was not there.  We checked everywhere,”
“Who are you?” asked the officer interviewing the aide.
“I am Jake Cauliflow, the guardian of Alice Cauliflow.  She’s my sister,” I told him. 
            I sat in the police station drinking coffee.  Wondering where my sister was and why she walked away from school.  After about two hours, the police said that they found her and that she was in front of the apartment.  When they ask her what she was doing, she told them that she was waiting for her brother because the door was lock. 
“Why did she go to my apartment?  How did she get there?” I asked them.
“She said that she walked and that the apartment was her home,” I was touch that she called the apartment her home.  I did not think that she would get used to it after two months. 
“But why did she go there?” I asked them.
“She said that her teacher said ‘it’s time to go home, class’ so she thought she had to go home,” At this we all laughed.  I waited until the police car arrived to the station with Alice and I walked outside to hug her. 
“72 Ridgewood Road, Ridgewood NJ, apartment 203,” was the first thing she told me. 
“Right,” I said to her and I gave her another big hug. 
“Mr. Cauliflow,” said a voice and I turned around to face an officer I never saw before but I could tell by his badges that he was a high-ranking officer.
“Yes officer,” I responded.
“We have reports of your sister missing and a report of disturbing the peace, all within two months,” he said.
“She’s autistic, sir.  She can’t help it if she misunderstands directions or cries over not having her food at home.  She does not understand the world like you and I do,”
“I know Mr. Cauliflow, however, if we get another call or report within the next month, we will have to call social services,”
“What?”
“I’m sorry Mr. Cauliflow, but we can’t keep doing this for one kid, autistic or not,” and he walked away without me replying.  I turned around to see Alice behind me and she gave me a hug. 
“I will not let them take you,” I told her. 
“Family,” she said. 
“Yes, we are a family.  Let’s go home,”
            I change my schedule for Alice and my hours at the high school.  I drop a club I was doing to spend more time with Alice and stopped going to parties to have fun with the other young teachers. I discovered that it was time to grow up and take responsibilities for my sister.  We played games, did art, watch cartoons, and I taught her how to be careful around the kitchen and what not to touch.  When we went out, she always stayed near me and if she wanted to go somewhere, she would ask. 
            One weekend I took Alice to the zoo and another time I took her into the city to the Museum of Natural History and she enjoyed it.  We both had a good time and for the first time, she tried a food she never had before, a New York style hotdog. 
            I realized that Alice was a great kid and that she was gentle and kind.  She cared about me and I cared about her.  We started to grow on each other and I promised that I would protect her, as a big brother should.  We became pals and much more closer than any other siblings. 
            It was the weekend and I realized that we were out of tofu and waffles.  We were also out of milk and other juices. 
“Alice, we need to go to Kings,” I told her but she shook her head.
“TV time.  Saturdays at noon,” she told me.
“I know, but I can not leave you home alone,” but she ignore me.  I was starving and the only thing we had was vegan food, however Alice would throw a fit if she discovered that her food was not in the fridge. 
“Alice I forgot to go out last night.  We only have my vegan food for brunch,”
“Waffle!” she yelled.
“I know, I know,” I told her and I sat there thinking. 
“Alice, Kings is right across the street.  I am going to get us more food for this morning and for dinner.  Whatever you do, do not leave this apartment.  I will be back soon, okay?” But she did not reply and I went out and across the street to get food.  But I was shock to see how busy Kings was.  I ran up and down the aisles looking for food for both Alice and I along with drinks.  I got on line for the register when I looked at my watch and it was almost two!  I could not believe I was shopping that long, but Alice was very picky.  She could not have certain milk (like skim milk) and she could not have certain waffles (like blueberries or chocolate).  As for myself, I needed to get vegan food. 
“There’s a fire!” someone yelled and I immediately looked around.  People started to run outside but I did not see a fire.  I left my stuff there and ran outside to get away, thinking the fire was in the back of the store.  But when I got outside I saw that everybody stopped. 
“There!” someone yelled and I noticed that he was pointing in a different directions.  The fire was not at Kings, but at my apartment!  On the third floor! 
            The police and fire department arrived as quickly as possible, I moved my way through the crowd and the officers recognized me as Alice’s brother.
“Where’s the girl?” They asked.
“I left her in the apartment.  What happened?” I asked.
“We do not know where the fire started.  You left her alone?”
“Just this once.  I needed to get food and drinks otherwise she would throw another tantrum,” The firemen got on the latter and started climbing into the windows and some used the fire escaped. 
“What room?” asked the police officers.
“203,” I told them and they made that room a priority, telling the firemen that a special needs child was in there.  I watch as they went to the window of my apartment.  A fireman went inside and I told the police officers to tell him to be careful and cautious because Alice did not like strangers.  I watched, hoping that the firemen would be able to save her.  It felt like hours until I saw the firemen carry out a body and started to climb down.
“Alice!  Alice!” I yelled over and over again.  When the firemen came down, he handed my sister over to the medics who arrived.  I walked over and I watch the medics give my sister CPR. 
“Is she going to be alright?” I asked but no one answered me and another medic told me to back up. 
“Alice!  Alice!  It’s Jake!  Please Alice, don’t die!  Alice!” I screamed with tears going down my cheek.  When I thought she was dead she started to cough. 
“She alive,” the medics said and they put her on a gurney to bring her to the hospital.  I got in the ambulance with my sister, holding her hand. 
“Alice?  Alice, you’re okay, do you hear me?  You’re going to be okay.  We are going to the hospital.  You’ll have to be good, they will help you.  Trust them okay?  Trust them for me, for your brother,” I told her.  She looked in my directions and in a soft voice said
“Yes,” 
            The hospital supplied her with oxygen and put an IV in her arm.  She did not fight back and felt most comfortable when I was with her.  I sat by her side and turned on the television when it was her TV time.  When she was bored I read her favorite stories to her such as “Where the Wild Things Are”, “Goodnight Moon”, “Arrow to the Sun”, “Grimm’s Fairytales,” and even parts of “Alice in Wonderland”.  The hospital wanted to keep her over night to treat some of her burns and they allowed me to stay with her. 
            The next morning I was surprised to see the officers there with get-well cards, flowers, and waffles.  I thank them and even Alice thanked them, which made them smile.  But the high-ranking officer was there with a serious face on. 
“Mr. Cauliflow, may I speak to you,” he said and I got up, leaving Alice in the care of the police officers. 
“Yes, sir?” I asked.
“We discovered the source of the fire,” he said and I somehow knew how the fire started.
“It started in my apartment, didn’t it?”
“Yes, from your stove.  Some one was trying to cook tofu and spinach,” at this I smiled but it quickly faded away.  
“What now?”
“Social services.  I do not know what they will do but they will arrive any minute now to this hospital to talk to you.  I’m sorry,” he said and walked away.  I walked back into the room to see Alice with a smile on around the officers.  I put a smile on, to enjoy what might be our last moment together. 
            The social worker arrived and wanted to speak to Alice alone and I sat outside the room and I was hoping that Alice would remain silent.  After thirty minutes the social worker came out to talk to me.
“Do you know why she started the fire?” she asked me.
“I did not have enough time to ask her,” I told her.
“She was hungry and wanted to cook a special meal for you.  Did you know that according to the evidence she had enough time to get out of the apartment and onto the side walk to safety?”
“No,”
“Well she did not because you told her to ‘not leave the apartment’ so she stayed there until fire was around her and she fainted.  She could had been seriously injured or even dead,”
“I know.  Listen I had to go out and buy food and drinks.  She won’t eat certain foods and drink certain things,”
“Did you teach her to cook, Mr. Cauliflow?”
“A bit,”
“With the stove?”
“She’s seen me use it,”
“Mr. Cauliflow, you work as a high school English teacher and working as an English teacher you have to work both inside and outside the school.  Besides that, you are barely making ends meet,”
“So?”
“So, this does not look good for you.  Especially that the police has been called because of your sister, now four times within two months.  You see that this is bad,”
“So what are you going to do?  Take her away?”
“I will need Alice to come with me.  I did a background check and I do not believe this is the best fit for Alice.  She needs more structure and according to the record she does not receive any special needs because you can not afford it,”
“She attends a special needs school, I pay for that!”
“It’s not enough.  The school you send her to is target towards children with Down syndrome and mental retardation, which Alice does not have,”
“It was the closes and cheapest school that I could afford,”
“Exactly.  Tomorrow, Mr. Cauliflow, when Alice is release from the hospital she will come with me and I will find a better and more suitable home for her.  I believe you have relatives who can take care of her,”
“No, you can’t do that.  I’ll never see her.  They live at least five hours away from here.  They are strict and won’t be able to handle her,”
“Excuse me Mr. Cauliflow, it is my final decision,”
            It rained the next day and Alice was able to go home.  However she was not returning to the home that she thought she was going to.  At the entrance of the hospital were may aunt and uncle with the social worker. 
“Can you give us a few minutes?” I asked them.
“Two minutes tops, we have a busy schedule,” said my aunt.  I looked at Alice and zipped up her coat and put her hat on. 
“Are you cold?” I asked her.
“No,” she said.  I stared at her face to face, even though she was not looking at me. 
“Alice, you are going to live with auntie and uncle, okay?” she started to whine, “listen, listen, listen.  It’s not your fault.  You did nothing wrong.  Listen to me, you did nothing wrong.  I did.  I could not take care of you.  I can’t give you the things you need like a school that can help you or an aide.  I can’t give you any of those,”
“No.  Do not want to go,” she said whining. 
“Alice, sister, please listen.  No matter what, I love you.  I will try to get you back.  I love you, I love you.  I will not give up.  We will be together some day and if not, I promise I will visit,” We both gave each other a big hug. 
“It’s time to go dear,” my aunt said and my uncle took Alice by the hand.  Alice pulled her hand away and gave me a hug.  That was when I saw tears go down her eyes. 
“Alice, dear.  We have a busy schedule.  We must leave.  Jake will be able to visit you,” said my aunt and this time my uncle grabbed her by the arm. 
“Don’t struggle,” he said.  He took Alice away from me and Alice started to scream and kick. 
“Stop,” I said but an officer held me back.  My uncle put her in the car and put on a special seat belt for her.  Alice continued to scream and kick.  She tried to get the seatbelt off her but she could not and continue screaming. 
“Jake!” I heard her yell and she continued to yell my name.  Then the car door closed and my aunt and uncle got in the car and started to drive away. 
“Wait!” I yelled and I started to run. 
“Mr. Cauliflow!” yelled the caseworker but I pretended to not hear her.  I ran towards the car all the way to the end of the block. 
“She’s my sister!” I yelled but no one heard me.  When I got to the corner, I watched the car turned onto the road and took off at forty miles per hour.  I stood there crying. 
“She’s my sister,” I said and then the rain got heavier and thunder grew louder. 
            It was a couple days before Thanksgiving when I got the call from the social worker.  I got a raised from my job, received money from a generous fundraiser, and moved into a better apartment.  I was able to save enough money for Alice’s special needs.  Although it was fall, it was a nice, warm, sunny day.  I watched as the car drove into the driveway of the apartments.  When the car came to a complete stop, the caseworker got out and opened the door to let Alice out.  When Alice saw me she ran to me and gave me a hug. 
“I love you,” I told her.
“I love you too, Jake,” We were never separated again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment