Monday, June 20, 2011

Demigod





The bell rang at three, at which time the school day ended and my students ran out the door of my classroom into the world of freedom, where they would go home and do work or play video games or even get in trouble. I was a normal high school teacher in my third year of teaching, until that spring, when my life would change forever.
I was staying late, grading exam papers that I had to return the next day. All my colleagues had left for the day to go home and spend time with their children, or girlfriend, or husband. I was looking at the pile of papers that still needed to be graded; I thought I was going to be stuck in the building until about dinnertime or so. But in one second, everything changed.
“Get down!” I heard someone yell. I got under my desk as the windows shattered. I put my hands over my head and was under my desk, wondering what had happened.
I was still under my desk, hearing a strange sound. It sounded almost like an animal, growling at its prey, ready to attack. I could tell the creature was angry. But I also heard a snake hissing, as if it were stalking a poor innocent mouse. I could not make sense of what I was hearing or what was going on.
I got up from under my desk and I could not believe what I saw. The creature’s bright, yellow eyes turned to my direction. The creature had four legs, like a dog, but it had the head of a lion, and a goat’s head on its back! At the end of its tail was a snake whose eyes were also staring at me. I could tell the creature was ready to attack me and I was not sure how I was going to defend myself. Then the creature got hit by a book.
“You’re battle is with me!” said a voice. I turned toward the door where a former student of mine was standing, with a dagger in her hand. The creature quickly lost its interest in me and turned toward the student, growling at her, angered by the attack. The two were staring each other down.
Then a whistle blew and I could tell it was coming from far away, from the woods in the back of the school. The creature turned around and jumped through the broken window.
“Get back here! I’m not done with you, you big fur ball!” yelled the student as she ran toward the window, but as quickly as the creature had shown, it disappeared. The student threw her dagger into the air. It vanished just as it was about to fall. Then the student, whose name was Jaime, turned toward me.
“You are in danger, you must come with me,” she said.
“I don’t understand. What was that thing?”
“A chimera. If I didn’t make it in time, you would have been dead. Come on, we have to be quick. They know you’re here.”
“I still don’t understand. Who knows I’m here? Why does a chimera want to kill me? I didn’t even know chimeras existed. Is this really happening? Is this a joke?”
“Everything will be answered if you just come with me. If you want to stay here, that’s fine. But if you do, you’ll die.” I grabbed my stuff and followed Jaime out the classroom.

“This is it!” exclaimed Jaime as she got out of the car. I was still holding on tight to the door and to my seat belt. I always wanted to know what it would be like to ride in a flying car, but after Jaime’s driving, I felt as if I could never go flying again, even in an airplane.
“Come on! There are no monsters here,” she said as she opened my door and pulled me out.
It was so misty outside that it was hard to see where we were. I could tell we were in a forest since the trees were so high and I could hear birds in the trees and the sun was bright over our heads.
“This is as far as the car goes, so now we have to walk the rest of the way,” said Jaime. She turned to face a cave. “That’s the entrance.”
We walked into the cave but it seemed to have no end, but as it started to get dark in the cave, it got lighter on the other side. Once we got to the other side, we were in a new place. A place where all the buildings were white and being held up by Greek-style columns. It looked like a Greek city-state that was just built yesterday, but with modern people walking around.
“Welcome to New Olympia,” said Jaime as she smiled down at the city.
“New Olympia?” I asked.
“Well, we had to give it a name. Since Olympus means so much to us, we decided to name it after Olympia, the Greek city-state. Come with me; the elder should be in the temple.”
We walked down a path that lead straight into New Olympia and many people walked up to Jaime and welcomed her. Many people in New Olympia were in their late teens to late twenties. The people wore modern clothing, but the city seemed so new, if this city-state were authentic, where was it? How could it have survived for so long?
Jaime took me to a big building that was in the shape of a square. The doors at the top of the staircase were closed. They were decorated with the different ages of mankind.
The doors opened and a face popped out. It was a young man, about my age, in his early twenties. He had long black hair that was pulled back, and light, pale skin.
“Jamie! I was so worried! I heard you were attack by a chimera! You know how I feel when you enter battle without telling me in advance!” said the man. As he stepped out, I realized that he was not a human.
The man had the body of a human, but he had black wings on his back. His nails were sharp and almost all his teeth were fangs. But even though he wasn’t a human, I saw his affection for Jaime, almost like a father. I could tell that Jaime was embarrassed.
“I’m sorry, Seto. I should have told you, but I didn’t plan on going into battle, it just happened.” The creature named Seto put his hand on Jaime’s head and gave her a big smile. Then he turned to me.
“The elder has been waiting for you, for many years now. Please follow me,” he said.
We entered the temple. The room was huge, like a ballroom. But the only thing inside was at the end of the room. A giant statue of Zeus, the Greek god of the skies. On the side of the room were many doors. Seto and Jaime walked towards one door and entered, gesturing me to follow them.
We entered a room that was as white as the building itself. There was a brown desk at the end of the room, and in the middle, two leather couches. The floor had a nice maroon rug and on the couch was an elderly man, reading a book. He was wearing a suit and had glasses on; he almost looked like a mix between Dr. Seuss and Dr. Freud. He looked up at us with a smile. Seto and Jamie bowed and I followed their example.
There was a moment of silence, and then the elder spoke to me, the first thing he said to me, which would change my life, forever.
“Hello Mr. K, I was expecting you for some time now. Or should I call you, son of Apollo?”

No comments:

Post a Comment